Pediatric neurology or child neurology as commonly known is a specialized branch of medicine that takes care of the diagnosis and management of neurological conditions in:
- Neonates (newborns)
This field essentially looks after the diseases and disorders of the following parts of a child’s body:
- Spinal cord
- The peripheral nervous system,
- Autonomic nervous system
- Muscles and blood vessels
Today the field has seen massive development and many metro cities such as Bangalore have some of the best pediatric neurologists who offer more advanced treatments.
What do pediatric neurologists in Bangalore do?
A child neurologist is trained to assess, diagnose, and treat the child with various nervous problems. The conditions dealt with by pediatric neurologists vary considerably. From simple disorders such as migraine or cerebral palsy to complex and rare conditions such as metabolic disease or neurodegenerative disorders, a child neurologist takes care of it all.
Pediatric neurologists also act as consultants to primary care physicians.
What are the common conditions that are treated by pediatric/ child neurologists?
- The doctor examines clinical features and classification of cerebral palsy
- He/ She takes care of epidemiology, etiology, and prevention of cerebral palsy
- The doctor evaluates and carries out a thorough diagnosis of cerebral palsy
- He/ She also takes care of the management and prognosis of cerebral palsy
Here the pediatric neurologists take care of:
- The acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children includes pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis
- The acute toxic-metabolic encephalopathy observed in children
- All the clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of neonatal encephalopathy
- The etiology and pathogenesis of neonatal encephalopathy
Some of the pediatric neurologists in Bangalore also look at:
- The acute viral encephalitis in children including their clinical manifestations and diagnosis, treatment, and prevention
- The clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Rocky Mountain spotted fever in children
- Viral meningitis includes a detailed analysis of the clinical features and diagnosis in children
Some of the movement disorders the pediatric neurologists take care of include:
- Acquired torticollis
- Acute cerebellar ataxia
- Bradykinetic movement disorders
- Friedreich ataxia
- Hyperkinetic movement disorders
- Overview of the hereditary ataxias
- Sydenham chorea
- Spinocerebellar ataxias
- Tourette syndrome
Many of the pediatric neurologists in Bangalore specialize in carrying out a thorough analysis of the clinic manifestations of these diseases. A proper course of treatment, which is designed to suit the age of the child follows this. Most pediatric neurologists in Bangalore also offer guidance to the parents to prevent diseases in the future.